How to create a funeral program
Funeral programs can be an important part of a funeral service. The funeral program is a printed handout that is given for family, friends and guests. It informs guests of the order of events for the service as well as gives personal information about the deceased. This program can also contain funeral poems, family photos and photo collages, scriptures and personalized notes, making it a more a keepsake. This post will explain how to make a memorial program or create a funeral program at home.
Make a Funeral Program Outline — Decide what you want to include in your program
Funeral programs can contain many different types of information. You should make a funeral program outline to decide what you want to include in your memorial keepsakes. If you do not have a lot of time, or if you don’t have a lot of information about the deceased, you may want to keep it short and sweet. Here is a short list of information that you can include in a funeral program
- Cover Photo
- Funeral Order of Service or Memorial Service Outline
- Obituary, Biography, Life Sketch
- Funeral Poems, Scriptures or Prayers
- Photos and Photo Collages
- Clipart and other Design Elements
You can pick and choose from this list. Your program doesn’t have to be several pages. You can make an easy funeral program with just a funeral service outline, a poem and a picture may be good enough to honor your loved one. If you want a longer program or booklet, you can add photos and collages, personalized notes, public acknowledgements and thank you notes. These elements can help you make a memorial program special.
Typing your funeral program using a familiar software program
If you are creating a funeral program yourself, the easiest way is to use a funeral program template. Templates come in many different styles and colors, and can have themes such as religious, nature, waterscape and many others. You can also get templates in many different funeral program layouts and paper sizes. You will need to make sure that you have a software program which will allow you to edit your template. Funeral and memorial program templates can significantly reduce the time it takes to make a funeral program. However, you can try to layout a funeral program on your own using the software program that you are most comfortable with. For more information, see our article on choosing a funeral program template.
Printing your Funeral Program
Once you have determined the contents of your program, typed the information and added photos, you will need to print your program. You could choose to print the funeral programs yourself, or take it somewhere else to have it printed. If you are printing the program at home on your printer, you should make sure you have enough ink or toner. Do a few test prints first to make sure everything is properly aligned. Also, allow plenty of time for printing and folding. You can also take your finished program to a copy shop or office supply store that has printers. For the best quality, print directly from your electronic copy. You can also ask your church or funeral home to print your finished programs. See our article on printing funeral programs for more information.
Here are some quick steps to create your funeral program
- Get your information together — Select as much as as little information as you want to include.
- Decide whether you want to use a template, or make your program from scratch. If making a program from scratch, you will need to format and pick a funeral program cover image.
- If using a template, decide on a background image or design, and pick a layout. Remember, you should choose your layout and paper size based on how much information you want to include.
- Choose a template that you can download immediately.
- Make sure you choose a template in a software program that you are familiar with. Make sure that the program you plan to use is properly installed, and is not an expired trial version. See our article on funeral program template software for more information
- Choose a template from a company that has customer support.
- Begin typing your information into the template. A good template will have sample information in it. Simply remove the sample information and type in your own. You can also cut and paste your information.
- Insert Photos if you have any.
- Proofread your template thoroughly.
- Do a test print and proofread it.
- Print your funeral program. Make sure you have enough ink and paper.
- Fold your program
For more inspiration, check out our funeral program sample for ideas and suggestions on how to make a memorial program.